Saturday, January 14, 2017

Personal Reading Profile

I would love to say that I have read a lot of books (like a couple hundred) in the past couple of years, however I have not.  This makes me sad and irritates me.  I have been spending a majority of my reading time reading for class assignments and research.  However, those days are counting down.  I am so looking forward to siting under a tree with my wife, dog, and a large glass of ice tea reading a book. This is not to say that I have not enjoyed and profited from my time in the graduate program; I have very much enjoyed my time and the knowledge I have gained will not only help me in my current and future jobs (looking to hire a smart and friendly librarian look me up) but I will also profit from this knowledge in my personal life too.  However, I will be realistic and admit that I enjoy reading for enjoyment much more than for knowledge and sometimes these two mix into a brilliant book.

When I do have time to read I enjoy reading genres like horror, comedy, adventure, action, and suspense.  These genres most often are presented in graphic form.  I am a huge comic book reader.  My favorite characters are from the Batman Universe.  Yesterday, I finished reading issue #3 of the current Harley Quinn series.  While I enjoy reading from the big powerhouse publishers of DC and Marvel along with Dark Horse and Image the smaller companies like Dynamite, Zenescope, and Devils Due have some refreshing ideas and are more willing to try out ideas.

I have found that some of the best places to look for new, unique, and enjoyable comics are the indie publishers.  When I go to a comic book convention (aka get my nerd on) I am on the lookout for something new and exciting.  These are writers and artist whose books are not always available at Amazon or B&N; these are sometimes only printed in short order for the conventions.

To choose my favorite books would be impossible, because there are sooooo many great books I have read. However, I do have a favorite that tops them all: Charles Dicken’s A Christmas Carol.  I like to and look forward to reading this book every year or so.  I have read it at least 12 times and each time I read it I find something different that I enjoy.  So, instead of listing my other favorites I will list the books I go to most often.

1. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.

2. On the Air: The Encyclopedia of Old-Time Radio by John Dunning (1998).

3. Tune in Yesterday: The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Old-Time Radio, 1925-1976 by John Dunning (1976)

Number 2 and 3 go together as an excellent source of information about Old Time Radio Shows (OTR).  The newer edition left out some of the shows of the older one, however expanded on information on certain shows.  As a huge OTR fan I often refer to these books for research and just for reading enjoyment. 

4.  Hack/Slash series. I put this on my list because this is a comic book series I would enjoy reading again.  This comic book series was created and sometime illustrated by Tim Seeley.  If you like cheesy 1980s slasher movies with a modern appeal and terrible humor this is a great series.  The main character Cassie Hack had really good character development throughout the series.  I would recommend starting with the first Omnibus.  For Christmas I got a 9 inch Cassie Hack statue (nerd alert 😄)

I am on GoodReads and would like to invite you all to friend me.  I have found some really good books from GoodReaders recommendations.  https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/31787003-robert-bussie

Thanks.


Rob

6 comments:


  1. Hi Robert,

    I enjoyed looking over your Reading Profile and got some good vibes while reading it and perusing through your reading interests. I can completely relate to your feelings on both the irritation of not being able to read more (due to school and other obligations), as well as how often it is that a good book, graphic novel, etc.… perfectly blends wisdom, knowledge, enjoyment, and a myriad of other emotions. I’ve never felt so excited that this class affords us the opportunity to actually read and talk about the reading with fellow classmates! It’s a nice excuse to read and not feel guilty that I am neglecting homework. The days of reading entirely for enjoyment are within our reach and sound good to me!

    While I haven’t read too many superhero or other comics and graphic novels, coincidentally, my five year old son has introduced me to much of the Marvel world. I have of course read Watchmen, otherwise known as the gold standard, and if you are looking for recommendations (unless you already read them) I would suggest both The Underwater Welder (I believe Vertigo is the publisher) and Here (a very fascinating concept). Have you heard of either? I’d personally like to check out Neil Gaimin’s Sandman graphic novel series. I’ll have to check out your Goodreads to check out some suggestions for future reads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jonathan.

    I have not heard of those two book. I just looked into them and the Here by Richard McGuire looks really interesting.

    Thanks for sharing

    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also really enjoy reading horror, and have read a few horror comics. My favorite of these was Joe Hill's Locke and Key series. I also really enjoy Kirkman's Outcast series. Can you recommend a few more?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Robert,

    I'm a superhero movie fanatic more so than a graphic novel reader. As a Superman fan I have to ask the same question I ask all Batman fan: Why Batman? I've gotten into heated discussions about weather on not Batman is a superhero. LOL

    I do feel your pain about reading for courses versus reading for pleasure. There just does not seem to be time to read for pleasure most of the time. I work full time, have two kids, and a husband along with going to school! I do find that reading during my lunch and breaks at work is satisfying though. I look forward to reading more of your posts!

    Kamara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kamara,

    Why Batman? The main reason I like Batman is that he is human with no super powers. It is easier to relate to a human that is intelligent, strong, and determined versus an alien from another planet or mutant with super powers. One of the reasons I like Nightwing is that he was the first Robin aka Dick Grayson. I was a kid watching the Super Friends cartoon on Saturday morning and thought that Robin was so cool. Robin grew up and so did I, so the stories are more relatable.

    Now, don't get wrong. I love Superman, because if you break it down to personality and traits he is the all American Boy Scout who fight for truth, justice, and the American way. The new movies and comics have tried to show his more vulnerable and dark side, especially the excellent "Justice: Gods Among Us" series, but the image overall of Superman in pop culture is as the ultimate example of a good super hero.

    You brought up about having a heated discussion on the Batman as a superhero debate. I have debated with friends and fellow comic nerds long before the Superman vs. Batman movie who would win in a fight. Writer Frank Miller and others have set up this scenario in different comic book stories. I have argued that it all comes down to this: Superman trusts Batman and sees the best in people where Batman sees that everyone has an agenda and has a dossier on all the meta-humans and capes on their strengths and weaknesses just in case he has to take any one of them out. Superman has gone rogue before (not his choice) and has trusted Batman with kryptonite to use against him if necessary.

    Thanks for the interesting conversation.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great reading profile! I too am a huge graphic novel fan. I love the new Ms. Marvel series and I just checked out the new Hellcat ones. I also love Fables, Walking Dead, and Sex Criminals. Afterlife with Archie and the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina were also really fun and beautifully drawn.

    ReplyDelete